1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1/2 tablespoon cardamom
3 tablespoons cinnamon
2 bay leaves
6 whole cloves
Pinch of cayenne pepper for the Tagine
1 whole chicken separated
8 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup of olive oil
1 cup dried apricots
1 cup dates, pitted
3 onions, sliced
3 tablespoons almond butter
1 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1. Grind together in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, and store in an airtight container.
You may also mix the same spices pre-ground.
2. Put 3 tbsp of spice mix in a food processor with garlic cloves and olive oil and puree to a
3. Place chicken in a freezer bag with the paste, mix well and place in the refrigerator to
marinate for a minimum of 1 hour.
4. Place the marinated chicken into a tagine along with dried apricots, dates, onions,
almond butter, turmeric, salt and pepper.
5. Pour in enough water to just cover everything, put a preheated oven at 350F for 1 ½
6. Adjust seasoning and add cilantro leaves just before serving.